Dr. Francis Atwoli at the 344th Session of the ILO Governing Body.
This morning, at the start of the interviews for the five (5) candidates contesting for Director General Position of the International Labour Organization, during the 344th session of the ILO Governing Body in Geneva, Switzerland. This is the first physical meeting since the advent of Covid-19. The 5 candidates are, Greg Vines from Australia, Gilbert F. Houngbo from Togo, Mthunzi Mdwaba from South Africa, Muriel Pénicaud from France and Kang Kyung Wha from South Korea.
Among the items with far-reaching policy implications to be discussed are issues relating to:
- Inclusion of safe and healthy working conditions in the ILO’s framework of fundamental rights,
- Developments in Myanmar, Bangladesh and Venezuela as part of its supervisory functions.
- Follow up action to the 2021 Conference resolution on inequality in the world of work
- Strengthening of multilateral cooperation stemming from the high-level Global Forum for a human-centered recovery in February 2022.
- Russian Federation to ‘immediately and unconditionally cease its aggression against Ukraine’, and expressing grave concern at reports of civilian casualties and the situation of refugees.