The Central Organization of Trade Unions, COTU (K) is the National Trade Union Center in Kenya. COTU (K) was founded in 1965 upon dissolution of the Kenya Federation of Labor and the African Workers’ Congress (KFL – AWC). COTU (K) is registered and operates within the provisions of the Labour Relations Act, 2007 of the Laws of Kenya. Currently we attract 43 Affiliate Trade Unions with a membership of over 2.5 Million.
VISION: To develop a work force that enjoys a sustainable decent work environment.
MISSION: COTU (K) exists to promote the creation of productive and sustainable employment opportunities, facilitate achievement of workers’ rights, enhance social protection and provide effective representation to Kenyan workers.
- To improve the economic and social conditions of all workers in all parts of Kenya.
- To assist in the complete organization of all workers in the trade union movement.
- To organize the structure and spheres of influence and amalgamation of trade unions affiliated to COTU (K).
- To assist in settling disputes between members of trade unions and their employers or between the trade unions and their members or employees of one union and employees of another union, or between two or more trade unions.
- To encourage the principles of the development and maintenance of good relations between employees and employers.
- To secure adequate and effective representation in bodies dealing with labor and employment policies and legislation.
- To establish and maintain funds by means of membership fees, monthly contributions, donations, subscriptions, levies and by borrowing on such security and such terms as may from time to time be arranged by the Executive Board.
- To set up appropriate committees to provide training, education and other facilities and enterprise for the advancement of workers and the labor movement in general.
Since its formation, the workers umbrella body had endeavored to create, develop and maintain a comprehensive social work, in conditions of freedom, equity security and dignity.