Remarks by Bro. Atwoli, During COTU (K)’S Strategic Plan 2017-2021 Validation Workshop
The Chairman General, COTU (K)
Bro. RajabuMwondi, MBS
The 1st Vice Chairman General
Bro. Rev. Joel KandieChebii, OGW
The Deputy Secretary General
Bro. Benson Okwaro
The Treasurer General
Sis. Rebecca Nyathogora
The 2nd Assistant Secretary General
COTU (K) staffs present
Brothers and Sisters,
I am pleased to join you this morning at this Central Organization of Trade Unions, COTU (K) Strategic Plan 2017-2021 validation workshop being a follow up to our previous Strategic Planning meeting held at Lake Bogoria Spa Resort on 3rd – 6th May, 2017.
It is at this meeting that we as COTU(K) were able to evaluate our achievements, identified emerging issues and challenges from our previous strategic plan of 2007-2012, did analyse our Organization’s contemporary environment, singled out existing operational gaps, strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and potential threats, did propose and document key strategies and activities towards addressing these gaps all aimed at not only positioning COTU(K) as an alternative Centre for National guidance but equally as the most effective National Trade Union Centre on the continent and beyond.
Dear Brothers and Sisters, seven strategic directions informed these developments namely;
- Review of COTU(K) Policies to reflect its growing diversity
- Constituting a management Committee to drive these policies
- Addressing functional Organisational structures including merging and job scaling
- Membership Organising, Recruitment, Service delivery and addressing double registration of Trade Unions,
- Creating effective linkages between COTU(K) Secretariat and our Affiliates,
- Building financial sustainability through informed projections and budgeting and
- Addressing medical and retirement insurance for Trade Unionists.
It is against this background that we are gathered here today to scrutinize and validate the first draft document resulting from this interaction at Lake Bogoria Spa Resort.
- I have no doubt that our strategic planning experts will for the next two days be able to present to us the final version of our mission, vision, core values and objectives together with the underlying situational analysis and strategic thrust based on our previous meeting before giving us the implementation matrix and the Interim proposed Organisation’s structure.
- It is my considered hope and opinion that at the close of this workshop we will all have the much needed thrust and new impetus to take COTU (K) to the next level as a world class Organisation committed to its Vision, Mission and Objects.
- I thank you and now declare this workshop officially opened.