WORLD DAY FOR SAFETY AND HEALTH AT WORK
Theme: STOP THE PANDEMIC – SAFETY AND HEALTH AT WORK CAN SAVE LIVES.
TRADE UNION DEFENCE DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC
• Trade unions and employers, working together, can make a significant difference to ensure that the effects of the outbreak are minimized, that the workforce is educated and informed on how to limit transmission, protected and equipped appropriately, and to ultimately limit further loss of life.
• We encourage Self-isolation or quarantine of workers to prevent the spread of Covid-19 thus Anyone who has, or who may have, been exposed to the virus is recommended to limit the number of people they come into contact with for 14 days.
• Another issue for trade unions is the fact that many workers, such as cleaners or security staff, are simply not able to work from home. The COTU-K is concerned that this may mean that there will be two tiers of staff with those unable to work from home, but who still have domestic responsibilities, being treated differently from those who can work from home if they need to care for a defendant and remote working arrangements should ensure that no staff are disadvantaged through not being able to work at home because of the nature of their job.
• Unions representing health sector, social care, education, transport, prisons and other relevant sectors have produced specific guidance and are in contact with employer organizations.
• We recommend a policy from the employers as soon as possible, which outlines what will happen in case of illness or isolation.
Cotu role on occupation safety and health
• We are a member in National Authority Committee on Occupations Safety and Health
• Work together with the Directorate of Safety and Health on formulation and revision of polices and regulations for the benefit of workers’ safety.
• We have a comprehensive training programme on Safety and Health Management at the world of work, which equips employees with relevant practical skills and knowledge to embrace, implement and sustain safety in simplest way at the workplace.
• Tom Mboya Labour Collage as a training center we offer training course on Occupational safety and health for our members who are focal persons in specific sectors.
• Enhance public awareness on OSH using various media platforms together with the relevant stakeholders.
• COTU-K has a full fledge desk responsible for OSH activities.